Thursday, March 5, 2009

Life Update and various TRs.

So this blog update has been a long time coming. And after months and months of gill pestering me to do an update here it is!

LIFE UPDATE

So I have officially graduated from school with a bachelors in engineering and am completely done! The last 2 years or so were a real struggle for me and I sorta crawled across the finish line, but I did manage to squeak by and get my degree :). Unfortunately the economy has gone to shit and I have yet to find a real job, but in the meantime I am still working at the local bar fulltime during the nights and I'm enjoying that. Although the money isn't very g00t. I pretty much stopped playing online poker the last few months, although in the past couple of weeks i have started playing a little bit once again. Also I will be moving out of my apartment at the end of this month or the next and moving into a house with 4 of my friends from highschool, so I'm sort of excited about that. It's a really nice house, and actually cheaper than the apartment I'm living in right now. Other than that not much is going on, I'll be going to BC to snowboard this weekend with the university snowboard club and also going to cancun in May. The rest of this blog is just going to be a short TR on my first 2 weeks of january, where I went on a road trip to Vegas and then lived at the school for a week after that and partied during 'engg week' (explained below). I didn't gamble in vegas, (except for a little bit of drunken craps) so if you're looking for poker content just skip this post.


Vegas TR

So I should really explain why I was going to Vegas in the first place. There's a non-academic tradition for engineering students at the university of calgary called engg week. It occurs during the 1st week of classes of the winter semester every year. Basically all 5 of the engineering departments (chem, mech, geo, civil, electrical) compete with each other in various events throughout the week (most events involve drinking). There is one judge chosen from each department, as well as a head judge and 1st/2nd year judge who organize all of these events. Anyways, I was chosen as the chem judge.

One event occurs the week before school and that is the roadtrip. Basically we go on a roadtrip a day before everyone else and send them messages about where to go and what to do. The location is a secret for them, but naturally we chose to go to vegas. So the 4 of us judges that went on the roadtrip were leading about 40 people who left the day after us. I'm just going to post some random pics I took on the roadtrip.

Shotgunning beers at every boarder crossing (there were 5). Arizona was iffy cuz there was a state trooper on the other side of the highway.

Our 1st night in vegas, one of the teams of people follwing us showed up early, but they weren't really with a deparement. Everyone else showed up the next day. Ended up going to the strippers that night...I spent a lot of money. (It's 100$ for 15 minutes in private room lol). Beers also cost like 15$ there and cover was 30$.

This is from the 2nd night in vegas, everyone else showed up this day. This is most of chemical engineering team. Their theme was sasquatch, taken off the kokenee beer comercials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGcGhgMvD1Y&feature=related
The ranger is missing in this photo taken.
On this night we went to dueling pianos in treasure island and racked up a $2k tab woohoo! I was mostly drinking these concauctions:


This pic is from the last day in vegas, we went up to the stratosphere, where they have amusement park rides on the top of the building. I was ready to shit my pants, as I don't like heights very much.

This blog is getting long so maybe I'll add some pics from the rest of engg week at a later point, which was probably twice the shit show that vegas was.

No comments: